Please give me COMAINT on https://metacpan.org/release/File-Remove
Shlomi Fish
2016-01-04 16:59:30 UTC
Hi all!

I'd like to have a COMAINT bit (co-maintainer) on
https://metacpan.org/release/File-Remove , which today I've been bitten by this
bug of it: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=90183 . File-Remove
had no release since 2012 and ADAMK, its most recent uploader, has not made any
release since 2013.

My plans for it are:

1. Convert the build system away from Module-Install (which is undermaintained
and unloved) to Dist-Zilla .

2. Convert the version control system from Subversion to git (and host it on
GitHub), while hopefully preserving history.

3. Try to fix the remaining bugs.

4. Investigate other future improvements.

My PAUSE id is "SHLOMIF" ( https://metacpan.org/author/SHLOMIF ).

Regards,

Shlomi Fish
Jonas B. Nielsen
2016-01-04 18:21:01 UTC
Hi Shlomi,

A sane alternative to Subversion migration could be starting out from gitpan:

https://github.com/gitpan/File-Remove <https://github.com/gitpan/File-Remove>

jonasbn
Philippe Bruhat (BooK)
2016-01-04 21:41:52 UTC
Post by Jonas B. Nielsen
Hi Shlomi,
https://github.com/gitpan/File-Remove <https://github.com/gitpan/File-Remove>
But that replaces the full history with the history of whatever was released.
--
Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

Eliminate a problem before it eliminates you!
Jonas Brømsø Nielsen
2016-01-04 22:27:05 UTC
Hi Philippe,

I did not say it was the optimal solution - but what brings the most value? - live working code or broken unmaintained artefacts of yesteryear?

I have migrated a lot of Subversion repos to Github, some were in an almost unmigratable state, due to bad decisions on repository layout and gitpan saved these distributions and I could get back to active maintenance instead of spending all my time trying to salvage history of old bug fixes. The changes file and distribution release history provided sufficient information to keep me happy and still draw the same picture of what was released to the public via CPAN.

If possible, migrate - if time or other circumstances block - gitpan is an alternative solution.

Happy New Year :-)

jonasbn
--
Post by Philippe Bruhat (BooK)
Hi Shlomi,
Shlomi Fish
2016-01-07 21:10:25 UTC
Hi all,

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 18:59:30 +0200
Post by Shlomi Fish
Hi all!
I'd like to have a COMAINT bit (co-maintainer) on
https://metacpan.org/release/File-Remove , which today I've been bitten by
this bug of it: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=90183 .
File-Remove had no release since 2012 and ADAMK, its most recent uploader,
has not made any release since 2013.
replying to myself, I'd like to note that I set up a hopefully canonical GitHub
fork of the File-Remove distribution here:

* https://github.com/shlomif/File-Remove

There are already quite a few changes there.

Thanks to all the people who took part on this thread for their guidance
(and especially to Karen for pointing at the GitHub TheOpenRepository
collection). Hopefully, I'll be given COMAINT for it soon, so I can upload a
new version to CPAN and close rt.cpan.org bugs (after fixing them if necessary).

Regards,

Shlomi Fish
Shlomi Fish
2016-01-10 14:30:45 UTC
Hi Neil,

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 14:12:52 +0000
Post by Jonas B. Nielsen
Hi Shlomi,
Post by Shlomi Fish
I'd like to have a COMAINT bit (co-maintainer) on
https://metacpan.org/release/File-Remove , which today I've been bitten by
this bug of it: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=90183 .
File-Remove had no release since 2012 and ADAMK, its most recent uploader,
has not made any release since 2013.
I’ve made you primary maintainer of File::Remove, as Richard and Adam (who’ve
done all the recent releases) approve, and GABOR only did one release in
1998. I also failed to contact him.
Thanks, Neil! I'll upload a new release soon.
Post by Jonas B. Nielsen
Gabor: if you disagree with this, it can always be reversed.
Shlomi: thank you for continuing the fight against entropy.
You're welcome! Thanks again for making me a MAINT.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish